The Contact Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge takes place on Saturday 30 November 2013.
Online entries will be open on 1st July 2013
Late entries can be made at Event Reception, Great Lake Centre, Tongariro St, Taupo
Friday 29th November 10am-10pm
Saturday 30th November 6am-8am
Please note that late entries will only be accepted up to 15mins before category start and bike loading times. If you are considering a late entry please check the relevant pages on this website for times.
An additional fee of $20 applies to all late entries except Elite riders.
Additional $5 fee applies to Kids@Heart riders
All the challenges are based around Lake Taupo & the surrounding area. The main start & finish is on Tongariro Street, Taupo with all pre & post-event activities on Event day taking place on the Tongariro North Domain & the adjacent Great Lake Centre.
All entrants must read the 2012 Welcome Guide. It contains all the event information that you will need. You will also recieve one in your event bag at the event but most of the information you will need to read before you get here.
You can download a pdf (3MB) of the 2012 Welcome Guide here
Bib numbers will be sent to you after your online registration is complete.
To view event entrants click here
Great Lake Centre, Tongariro Street, Taupo
Friday 29th November 10am - 10pm
Saturday 30th November 6am - 8am
- Event packs with ride numbers and timing tags built into the bike tags must be collected from Reception between the above times
- Pre ordered merchandise must be collected from Event Reception. Postage will be charged for any uncollected merchandise following the event.
- You must print & bring your confirmation email with your bib number to Event Reception to collect your event pack & any merchandise ordered
- Event packs for relay teams should be collected by one team member
- Late entries will be accepted at Reception
- All minor spot prizes are drawn at Reception
Prize Giving takes place at 6pm Saturday 30th on the Tongariro North Domain.
Major spot prizes will be drawn at prize giving.
You must be present at prize giving to claim a spot prize.
How to Get Here
Click Here to download a route map for entry into Taupo and for parking in the CBD
Please be aware that when you travel to our event or any cycling Event when you put your bikes on a rack at the rear of your vehicle, you must not cover your vehicle licence plate. For information regarding supplementary number plates go to this link;
Safety is paramount. We strive to continually improve our event in order to ensure that it is as safe as possible but we need your help!
We ask all entrants to abide by the following rules:
- You must have your bike and helmet checked. We have a large number of ‘Discount Dealer’ cycle shops who offer free cycle safety checks to Cycle Challenge participants (although necessary repairs are not free!) Click here for the 2012 Discount Dealer list.
- NO ACCOMPANYING VEHICLES ARE NECESSARY OR ALLOWED ON THE COURSE.
Riders using such vehicles may be disqualified from the event.
- Obey the course marshals’ directions – they are for your safety
- Do not ride on aero bars when you are in a bunch
- If you anticipate riding in a bunch then read our Bunch Riding Notes, which can be downloaded from our website or sent to you by request. Practice riding in a bunch so you know how it works.
- All traffic laws must be obeyed. Police Traffic Safety officers will be patrolling the course
- There are many precautions that we take to make your ride a safe one, but remember that the entire course takes place on public roads open to all traffic.
All entrants are issued with a Times-7 bike sticker with a timing strip already attached, which you stick around your bike seat post.
This strip electronically records your time as you cross the start & finish line & as you exit interchange points for relay riders.
These are disposable and do not need to be returned
All road surfaces are sealed, are of a good national standard & the entire course is well sign-posted & marshaled. Police traffic safety officers patrol the course. The following course services are provided
• Rest/Water /Peak Fuel stops - at all relay interchanges & 5 other drink stations
• Portaloos - at all relay interchanges & drink stations
• Rubbish bins - at all relay interchanges & drink stations
• Avanti Bike Mechanics – at all relay interchanges
• Sag wagons
• St John Ambulance services
• Coffee/food cart at Kuratau interchange
You can use your Event Bag as a drop bag in which you can leave gear at the start or relay interchange points. Your bag will be brought back to Taupo for you to collect later.
NOTE: We are unable to move bags from the Start to the Relay Interchange points, or between the Relay Interchange points.
BIBS, NUMBER PLATES & OVERCAPS – WHO’S WHO?
Bib Numbers Bib/Number plate colour Category
1 – 6599 White Bike Barn Solo
6600 - 6699 White Tandem
6700 – 6999 Peach Heart Chn NZ Heart Riders
7000 – 7999 Purple Contact Huka Challenge
8000 – 8999 Green Contact Huka Cruiser
9000 – 9199 Red Men’s Classic Race
9200 – 9299 Red OPI Women’s Road Race
9300 – 9399 Red Contact Huka XL Race
9600 – 9799 Blue Barfoot & Thompson Enduro
9800 – 9899 Violet Barfoot & Thompson Maxi Enduro
9900 – 9999 Yellow Barfoot & Thompson Extreme Enduro
10000 – 12999 Green Relay
Cadence Club Bibs: Bronze Completed 10+ laps in Lake Taupo Cycle Challenges
Silver Completed 15+ laps in Lake Taupo Cycle Challenges
Gold Completed 20+ laps in Lake Taupo Cycle Challenges
Diamond Completed 25+ laps in Lake Taupo Cycle Challenges
Bike Barn Solo start group helmet sticker dots:
Start Group Dot Colour
Overcaps: Yellow Enduro Barfoot & Thompson Enduro (riding twice around the lake)
Pink Barfoot & Thompson Maxi Enduro (riding four times around the lake)
Green Barfoot & Thompson Extreme Enduro (riding eight times around the lake)